Deed of Trust

Fixed Fee only £299 inc VAT

Fast, Effective Delivery

What is a Deed of Trust?

A Deed of Trust, also referred to as a Declaration of Trust, is a document, executed as a deed, which specifies how a property is held between joint owners.

Our Basic Deed includes a fixed beneficial interest split and can explain what each party contributed to the property, your responsibilities regarding outgoings, and what you agree to do on sale.

What is the purpose of the Deed of Trust for a property?

It offers a cost effective way for declaring your intentions, limiting the potential for a legal battle if your relationship breaks down.

It is ideal for married buy to let landlords (or civil partners), for declaring unofficial shares for tax purposes (suitable Form 17 declarations) or for first time buyers wanting a very simple agreement.

Clients looking for flexibility should consider a Floating Deed which contains a formula to adjust your shares, accommodating unequal contributions you may make in the future.

Deed of Trust Cost

The deed contains the declaration of trust cost and is available at a Fixed Fee of £299 INC VAT

Our solicitor drafts your deed and submits the draft to you for review within 2 to 3 days of receipt of your complete intentions*. You get one free revision

How do I get a Deed of Trust?

We draft a lot of deeds for a number of purposes, however whether you are drafting it to share income on a buy to let or if it is to protect your interest in a property you live in, the process is the same.

  • 1
    Complete the online form below, which includes your intentions, attach your ID, accept our terms and pay for the deed by credit or debit card via Paypal (no need for an account)
  • 2
    Our solicitor drafts your deed and submits the draft to you for review. You get one free revision.
  • 3
    Once you're happy, we submit the final deed to you for signing in front of a witness. Don't worry, we provide a guide on how to sign and what to do with the deed once signed.
Order a Deed of Trust Online Instruction
Use our online form to provide us with all the information our solicitor needs to draft you a Basic Deed of Trust!
Fixed Fee only £299 INC VAT

Our solicitor drafts your deed and submits the draft to you for review within 2 to 3 days of receipt of your complete intentions*. You get one free revision

Transaction reference:
(If you are already a Parachute Law client you must use your quote reference to sync your details to your account)
Transaction Reference:
(If you are already a Parachute Law client you must use your client reference to sync your details to this form, it'll save you filling your details in again)
Security Code
Details of parties to the deed
First name
Middle name/s
Last name
Mobile number
Home Postcode
Flat No:
First line
Second line

What is the relationship between you and the other party?
Are you a legal owner of the property?
A legal owner is named on the title at the Land Registry.
Are you a beneficial owner of the property?
A beneficial owner does not need to be a legal owner.

How do you want to share any gain or loss in the property?
You can choose from:
  • Fixed Shares - this is a fixed percentage that doesn't change.
  • Return initial deposit and share any gain or loss by a fixed percentage - this is where you return the deposit/current equity in the property as at the date of signing the deed and then return any gain or loss by a fixed percentage.
  • Floating Shares - floating or variable shares change over time based on your financial contributions toward the property. This form should not be used for floating deeds, so please fill out this form.
  • 100% as Joint Tenants - this is for owners changing from Tenants in Common to Joint Tenants.

What is your beneficial interest split? (%)

What is your initial deposit? (£)

What is your share of the outgoings?
Outgoings include but are not limited to rates, utilities and insurance. They are typically shared in the same percentage split as your beneficial interest. Where one party pays more of the outgoings you may want to look at getting a Floating Deed of Trust.
Add a party to the deed ( Same Home )
Property details your deed relates to
Postcode of property
Flat No:
First line
Second line

Is the property freehold or leasehold?

Is the property a residential or a buy to let?

Do you currently own the property?

How do you currently own the property?
If you are unsure we will check for you. Joint Tenants cannot hold separate beneficial shares in a property. If the property is currently held as Joint Tenants then we can help sever the joint tenancy so the property is held as Tenants in Common for an additional fee.

What is the property's current price?
If you are buying the property this is the price you are paying. If you already own the property this is the estimated current market value as at today's date.

Is there a mortgage registered over the property?

What is the mortgage value?
If you are buying then this is the total mortgage debt as at completion (this may include mortgage valuation and admin fees added onto the mortgage debt). If you already own the property this is the estimated current total mortgage debt as at today's date.

What is the name of your mortgage lender?
If you are buying then this is the name of your mortgage lender helping you fund the purchase. If you already own the property it is the name of your mortgage lender who has a registered charge over your property.

Do you have any special requests?

Attach Documents
You can attach a scan .PDF or a .JPEG. There is a free to use App called TurboScan for Android or IOS phones which converts a photo to .PDF on your mobile.

    Proof of Photo ID
Attach a copy of your current valid passport or driving licence for all parties.
    Proof of Address
Attach 2 scan copies of your home address (you can't use the same company twice for different months. You can use a utility/mobile bill, formal notice like HMRC letter or council tax or bank statement no older than 3 months).
Parachute Law Solicitors
21 Silwood Road
T: 0207 183 4547
F: 0207 183 2973


These terms set out some important information about our professional relationship with you as well as our terms and conditions. It is vital that you read the information carefully. Please note that we only act for the addressee(s) of this letter. We will not correspond with any other parties about your file without your express written permission.

Responsibility for your case

The person responsible for all of the work on your matter is Claudine Boast. She is assisted by Ashlee High who will also be working on your matter under Claudine’s supervision.

Legal Fees

You have instructed based on a fixed fee for a specific scope of work. In the event further work is needed to be undertaken then our legal fees are calculated by reference to the time spent by our fee earners in respect of any work which they do on your behalf unless a further fixed fee is agreed at the outset in respect of a specific scope of work.

Billing Arrangements

We charge £300 INC VAT per hour for legal work. We charge in 15 minute units, rounding to the nearest 15 minutes. Our hourly rates are reviewed every year to reflect increases in overhead costs and inflation.
Normally the rates are reviewed with effect from 1 January each year.
For work that falls outside the scope of the fixed fee, then in accordance with our usual practice in long running cases, we shall deliver bills to you at regular intervals for work carried out during the conduct of this matter.

Cancellation Policy

You may cancel the instruction at any time and ask for a refund. We will keep what’s necessary to cover the cost of services provided up until you cancelled. For document and deed drafting services, the fee you have have paid is broken down as follows: 75% for production of the first draft, 25% for finalising and circulating the final version. Therefore, if you cancel having received the first draft, you will be entitled to receive 25% of your fee.

Service Levels

We will update you by telephone or by email with progress on your matter following receipt of important information about your matter or when any important event occurs in your matter.
We will communicate with you in plain language. Our preferred manner of communication is email. We do not normally send letters in the post, if you prefer another method of communication such as post or fax you should tell us. We will explain to you by telephone or by email the legal work required as your matter progresses.


If we fail to comply with these terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of our breaking this contract or our failing to use reasonable care and skill but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if either it is obvious that it will happen or if, at the time the contract was made, both we and you knew it might happen, for example, if you discussed it with us.
We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors; for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; for breach of your legal rights in relation to the services including the right to receive services which are as described and supplied with reasonable skill and care.

Referral Arrangements

If your instructions have been passed to us by SAM Conveyancing a trading name of Share a Mortgage Ltd. then we must comply with Chapter 9 of the Solicitors' Regulation Authority Code of Conduct. We advise that we have a commercial arrangement with SAM Conveyancing relating to their introduction of clients to us. We believe that this relationship is of benefit to you, enhancing the delivery of our services. Upon completion of this matter, we will make a referral payment to them. To be clear, this payment is made by us and is not an additional payment that we require from you.
By signing the Acceptance Form, you confirm that you are giving us permission to disclose information relating to your matter to SAM Conveyancing. If you do not agree that we may do so, please advise us in writing. If at any time we feel that a conflict of interest may arise as a result of our relationship with SAM Conveyancing we will cease acting.

Our Standard of Care

The legal services that we provide are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority whose rules can be inspected at Our registration number with the Solicitors Regulation Authority is 646947. These terms and conditions are set out to comply with certain legal requirements in part and the professional requirements and advice of the Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Law Society. Their other purpose is to indicate to clients as clearly as possible the standard of service that they can expect from us, the amounts that we will charge for the work that we do and our methods of charging.
These terms and conditions do not affect statutory and common law rules that govern solicitors’ business.
However, if there is a conflict between the terms and conditions and such rules, the terms and conditions will prevail so far as it is possible for them to do so.
When the words ‘we’ and ‘us’ are used in these terms and conditions, they mean Parachute Law Solicitors.
Your responsibilities include the following:
  1. You will provide us with clear, timely and accurate information.
  2. You will inform us of any changes in your circumstances or awareness which may affect your file.
  3. You will provide all documentation required to progress matters in a timely manner.


We are committed to high quality legal advice and client care. If you are unhappy about any aspect of the service you have received or about the bill, please contact Parachute Law on 0207 183 4547, or by post to our office.
We have eight weeks to consider your complaint. If we have not resolved it within this time you may complain to the Legal Ombudsman. If you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint you can ask the Legal Ombudsman at PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ to consider the complaint.
Normally, you will need to bring a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of receiving a final written response from us about your complaint or within one year of the act or omission about which you are complaining occurring (or if outside of this period, within one year of when you should reasonably have been aware of it).
Read our full complaints handling procedure here.

Complaints about our bills

If you are not satisfied about our bill you are entitled to challenge or make a complaint about that bill. You may also apply to the court for an assessment of our bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974.

Interest on Unpaid Bills

If all or part of the bill remains unpaid, we may be entitled to charge interest.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

We have Professional Indemnity Insurance to cover work undertaken by us in England and Wales. Our insurers are:
Travelers Insurance Company Limited
61-63 London Road

Data Protection

The way in which we use your personal data is regulated by data protection legislation in addition to our professional duty of confidentiality. Our up-to-date privacy notice is available on our website ( We may amend our privacy notice periodically to ensure it is operating effectively and complies with relevant laws and regulations. Where you provide any personal data to us (including that of third parties involved in the matter), you are responsible for ensuring that disclosure by you or on your behalf to us for use by us in the provision of our services complies with the requirements of data protection legislation.
You have the sole responsibility for the accuracy, quality and legality of the personal data you provide to us.

Storage of Documents

After completing the work, we will be entitled to keep all your papers and documents while there is still money owed to us for fees and expenses. We will keep our file of your papers for up to 6 years. We keep files on the understanding that we can destroy them 6 years after the date of the final bill. We do not offer the service of storing documents in safe custody.

Notice of right to Cancel

The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 give you the right to cancel your agreement with us, without giving any reason, at any time during the 14 days immediately following the day that you return the copy of this letter (the "cooling off period"). Rather than our waiting for the cooling off period to expire before starting work on your file, at your election, we can start work for you right away however you will then lose your right to cancel and you will be responsible for the fees incurred by us for the work that we have undertaken for you. If you would like us to commence work before the end of the cancellation period, please tick the box indicating your Agreement to Commence Work, when signing and returning the copy of this letter of engagement or later, if appropriate. This may mean that you lose the right to cancel.
You will be required to pay for the services provided to you, with your agreement, before the end of the cancellation period. Please note that under the firm's terms of engagement you have the right to instruct us to stop work at any time (whether during or after the cancellation period).
We reserve the right to destroy all paper documents and to store an electronic copy only.
If you want us to return any paper documents to you at the end of a case you must inform us in writing. If we take papers or documents out of storage in relation to continuing or new instructions to act for you, we will not normally charge for such retrieval.
However we may charge you both for:
  1. time spent producing stored papers that are requested
  2. reading, correspondence or other work necessary to comply with your instructions in relation to the retrieved papers

Cancellation Policy

You may cancel the instruction at any time and ask for a refund. We will keep what’s necessary to cover the cost of services provided up until you cancelled. For document and deed drafting services, the fee you have have paid is broken down as follows: 75% for production of the first draft, 25% for finalising and circulating the final version. Therefore, if you cancel having received the first draft, you will be entitled to receive 25% of your fee.


Sometimes we ask other companies or people to do typing/photocopying/other work on our files to ensure this is done promptly. We will always seek a confidentiality agreement with these outsourced providers. If you do not want your file to be outsourced, please tell us as soon as possible.

Auditing and Vetting of Files

External firms or organisations may conduct audit or quality checks on our practice. These external firms or organisations are required to maintain confidentiality in relation to your files.

Terminating this Retainer

You may end your instructions to us in writing at any time, but we can keep all your papers and documents while there is still money owed to us for fees and expenses. We may decide to stop acting for you only with good reason. We must give you reasonable notice that we will stop acting for you.
If you or we decide that we should stop acting for you, you will pay our charges up until that point. These are calculated on an hourly basis plus expenses or by proportion of the agreed fee as set out in these terms and conditions depending on the whether you have paid a fixed fee or are paying for our services at an hourly rate.


We are professionally and legally obliged to keep your affairs confidential. However, solicitors may be required by statute to make a disclosure to the Serious Organised Crime Agency where they know or suspect that a transaction may involve money laundering or terrorist financing. If we make a disclosure in relation to your matter, we may not be able to tell you that a disclosure has been made. We may have to stop working on your matter for a period of time and may not be able to tell you why.

Distance Selling Regulations

If we have not met with you in person then Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 apply to this work. This means you have the right to cancel your instructions to us within seven working days of receiving this letter. You can cancel your instructions by contacting us by post or email to this office. Once we have started work on your file, you will be charged for the work that we have done if you then cancel your instructions.

Cash Payment to Third Parties

We confirm that we will carry out the necessary checks in order to verify the identity of our client for the delivery of the Service. If you are required by your conveyancing solicitor or a mortgage lender to obtain certified ID then you can do so by:
  • Click here to book and pay for an appointment to certify your ID via video conference. This service is not included within your original fee as it is not required to provide independent legal advice. Book a meeting to certify documents.
  • Find a solicitor local to you to certify your ID via video conference.

Accepting our Terms of Business

By ticking the button online "I Agree to the Terms & Conditions" in this form you are accepting these terms of service. If terms received by email then please email stating "I Agree to the Terms & Conditions".
Last updated: 24th February 2022
Fixed Solicitor Fee
Basic Deed of Trust

Apply Remove
Have you already paid?
Type payment code from email here:
Deed of Trust Order Confirmation

What happens next?

    We review your intentions our solicitor reviews your intentions and the Land Registry title ownership and asks for clarification on any points they deem necessary.
    First Draft our solicitor drafts your deed and this is sent to you for your review. You have one free revision built into the quote you have paid for. We aim to deliver your first draft within 2 to 3 working days.
    Final Deed the final deed is sent to you to execute and send onto your conveyancing solicitor if you are getting the deed registered. If we are registering the deed for you then we will guide you through what happens next in our email.

Available to book Next Day
Fast, Effective
Buy to Let Partnership Solicitor with a deed
Straight Talking
Friendly Solicitors
Rated Excellent on Trustpilot
Rated Excellent
on Trustpilot

What is included in our Basic Deed of Trust?

We have created a basic template to help keep the costs down for you and it includes the following clauses:

  • Lists the names of all legal and beneficial owners
  • Declaration of trust confirming how the beneficial interest is held between the joint owners
  • Explains how to share rental income
  • States the individual co-owner's contributions toward outgoings
  • Maintenance obligations
  • Process for transferring beneficial interest between parties (buying each other's beneficial interest)
  • Process for how to sell the property in the future offering right of first refusal to the other co-owners

We can add additional clauses into the agreement to suit your intentions/circumstances however these will be chargeable at our solicitors hourly rate. Email us for a bespoke quote on

Why should you get a Deed of Trust?

The key purpose of the deed is to state your beneficial interest in the property. This is found in the Declaration of Trust section of the deed. For this reason unmarried couples and friends or family joint owners should always have a deed.

Married couples have other protections such as matrimonial home rights. However, if you are married or civil partners and want to divide your shares unequally for any reason, including tax efficiency, you should get one too.


How do you share gains in the property?

The basic deed keeps things simple by focusing on a fixed share in the property and is often used by buy to let landlords or first time buyers. The gain or loss can be shared in one of two ways:

  • a fixed amount such as 50/50 (often landlords have this split for tax purposes and Form 17 declaration); or
  • the return of your original deposit to purchase the property and then sharing any gain or loss in a fixed share, such as 50%/50% or 75%/25%.

The basic deed can include a floating share for an additional fee. The floating share increases or decreases in relation to what you pay toward the mortgage repayments, developments and costs of purchase. The end result means that if during the lifetime of the property ownership you pay more money in, then you will get more money out.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does a Deed of Trust override a Will?


Who keeps a Deed of Trust?


Does a deed of trust stand up in court?


Why is a Deed of Trust important?


How do I make changes to the Deed of Trust in the future?


Who can witness a Deed of Trust?


Can we own unequal shares in the property, but split the gains 50/50?


Can a deed still be enforced if we are engaged and not married?


How to Sign a Deed?


You may also be interested in...

 A queue of cartoon people waiting in turn for their charge on the property. Deed of Postponement: What does it mean to postpone a mortgage? A guide from Parachute Law

Deed of Postponement

What does it mean to postpone a mortgage? Inc. what is a charge postponement, postponement deed & letter of postponement. Get a low cost deed of postponement.
A man Signing a Deed | Parachute Law explains How to Sign a Deed.

How To Sign A Deed

We've explained in a few simple steps on How to execute your Deed correctly to ensure it is legally binding.
Can you cancel a Deed of Trust? Parachute Law explains how to revoke your deed.

Can You Cancel a Deed of Trust?

Wondering if you can cancel a deed? Your legally binding document can be overridden by a deed of surrender.