Form PE3: Statutory Declaration - Unpaid Penalty Charge

Kieran Watman
4 min read
Form PE3: Statutory Declaration - Unpaid Penalty Charge. How to dispute your penalty charge notice if you have been sent an order for recovery. From Parachute Law

What is an order for recovery of unpaid penalty charge?

If you have not paid a Penalty Charge Notice (or Notice to Owner or Enforcement Notice) The authority who have issued it have the right to increase the charge and register the amount outstanding as a debt, which may incur further charges if not paid. They will then issue a Order for Recovery.
If you:
  • Didn't receive the Penalty Charge Notice (Moving Traffic contravention or Congestion Charging contravention), Notice to Owner (Parking contravention), or Enforcement Notice (Bus lane contravention)
  • made representations about the penalty charge to the local authority concerned within 28 days of the service of the Notice to Owner/Enforcement Notice/Penalty Charge Notice, but did not receive a rejection notice
  • Appealed to the Parking/Traffic Adjudicator against the local authority’s decision to reject your representation, within 28 days of service of the rejection notice, but have had no response to the appeal.
Then, you can dispute the increased charge and debt using Form PE3: Statutory Declaration - Unpaid Penalty Charge.

Statutory Declaration – Unpaid Penalty Charge Online Instruction
Book a meeting today with our solicitor.

First contact is within 48 hours.

Transaction reference:
(If you are already a Parachute Law client you must use your quote reference to sync your details to your account)
Transaction Reference:
(If you are already a Parachute Law client you must use your client reference to sync your details to this form, it'll save you filling your details in again)
Text me my security code
Security Code
Your details
Only the named respondent can fill in this form. If the respondent has been named as a company/organisation, you must state your own full name, the company name and your position in the company.
First name
Middle name/s
Last name
Mobile number
Company name
Your position in the company

Enter your home address, or, if the named respondent is a company/organisation, enter the registered address of the company/organisation.
Flat No:
First line
Second line
Penalty Charge Details
Penalty Charge Number 
Vehicle Registration Number
Location of Contravention
Date of Contravention
I, the above named respondent, declare that:
Tick the box which applies. If your penalty charge relates to a London Borough Parking contravention you must only tick one box
Please give your reasons in full
e.g. change of address
Attach Documents
You can attach a scan .PDF or a .JPEG. There is a free to use App called TurboScan for Android or IOS phones which converts a photo to .PDF on your mobile.

All documents provided through this online form will need to be accessible by you during your meeting. Please ensure you have all the relevant documentation printed and ready prior to your meeting taking place. If you don't have access to the documents in the meeting then you'll have to re-book your meeting for an additional fee.

    Proof of Photo ID
Attach a copy of your current valid passport or driving licence. The photo ID that you provide needs to be presented to the solicitor during your meeting. If the photo ID presented to the solicitor in the meeting does not match the ID uploaded an admin fee of £50 will be chargeable to organise a new meeting to validate your photo ID.
    Proof of Address
2 scan copies of your home address (you can't use the same company twice for different months. You can use a utility/mobile bill, formal notice like HMRC letter or council tax or bank statement no older than 3 months).
Parachute Law Solicitors
21 Silwood Road
T: 0207 183 4547
F: 0207 183 2973


These terms set out some important information about our professional relationship with you as well as our terms and conditions. It is vital that you read the information carefully. Please note that we only act for the addressee(s) of this letter. We will not correspond with any other parties about your file without your express written permission.

Responsibility for your case

The person responsible for all of the work on your matter is Claudine Boast. She is assisted by Ashlee High who will also be working on your matter under Claudine’s supervision.

Legal Fees

You have instructed based on a fixed fee for a specific scope of work. In the event further work is needed to be undertaken then our legal fees are calculated by reference to the time spent by our fee earners in respect of any work which they do on your behalf unless a further fixed fee is agreed at the outset in respect of a specific scope of work.

Billing Arrangements

We charge £300 INC VAT per hour for legal work. We charge in 15 minute units, rounding to the nearest 15 minutes. Our hourly rates are reviewed every year to reflect increases in overhead costs and inflation.
Normally the rates are reviewed with effect from 1 January each year.
For work that falls outside the scope of the fixed fee, then in accordance with our usual practice in long running cases, we shall deliver bills to you at regular intervals for work carried out during the conduct of this matter.

Cancellation Policy

You may cancel the instruction at any time and ask for a refund. We will keep what’s necessary to cover the cost of services provided up until you cancelled. For document and deed drafting services, the fee you have have paid is broken down as follows: 75% for production of the first draft, 25% for finalising and circulating the final version. Therefore, if you cancel having received the first draft, you will be entitled to receive 25% of your fee.

Service Levels

We will update you by telephone or by email with progress on your matter following receipt of important information about your matter or when any important event occurs in your matter.
We will communicate with you in plain language. Our preferred manner of communication is email. We do not normally send letters in the post, if you prefer another method of communication such as post or fax you should tell us. We will explain to you by telephone or by email the legal work required as your matter progresses.


If we fail to comply with these terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of our breaking this contract or our failing to use reasonable care and skill but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if either it is obvious that it will happen or if, at the time the contract was made, both we and you knew it might happen, for example, if you discussed it with us.
We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors; for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; for breach of your legal rights in relation to the services including the right to receive services which are as described and supplied with reasonable skill and care.

Referral Arrangements

If your instructions have been passed to us by SAM Conveyancing a trading name of Share a Mortgage Ltd. then we must comply with Chapter 9 of the Solicitors' Regulation Authority Code of Conduct. We advise that we have a commercial arrangement with SAM Conveyancing relating to their introduction of clients to us. We believe that this relationship is of benefit to you, enhancing the delivery of our services. Upon completion of this matter, we will make a referral payment to them. To be clear, this payment is made by us and is not an additional payment that we require from you.
By signing the Acceptance Form, you confirm that you are giving us permission to disclose information relating to your matter to SAM Conveyancing. If you do not agree that we may do so, please advise us in writing. If at any time we feel that a conflict of interest may arise as a result of our relationship with SAM Conveyancing we will cease acting.

Our Standard of Care

The legal services that we provide are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority whose rules can be inspected at Our registration number with the Solicitors Regulation Authority is 646947. These terms and conditions are set out to comply with certain legal requirements in part and the professional requirements and advice of the Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Law Society. Their other purpose is to indicate to clients as clearly as possible the standard of service that they can expect from us, the amounts that we will charge for the work that we do and our methods of charging.
These terms and conditions do not affect statutory and common law rules that govern solicitors’ business.
However, if there is a conflict between the terms and conditions and such rules, the terms and conditions will prevail so far as it is possible for them to do so.
When the words ‘we’ and ‘us’ are used in these terms and conditions, they mean Parachute Law Solicitors.
Your responsibilities include the following:
  1. You will provide us with clear, timely and accurate information.
  2. You will inform us of any changes in your circumstances or awareness which may affect your file.
  3. You will provide all documentation required to progress matters in a timely manner.


We are committed to high quality legal advice and client care. If you are unhappy about any aspect of the service you have received or about the bill, please contact Parachute Law on 0207 183 4547, or by post to our office.
We have eight weeks to consider your complaint. If we have not resolved it within this time you may complain to the Legal Ombudsman. If you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint you can ask the Legal Ombudsman at PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ to consider the complaint.
Normally, you will need to bring a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of receiving a final written response from us about your complaint or within one year of the act or omission about which you are complaining occurring (or if outside of this period, within one year of when you should reasonably have been aware of it).
Read our full complaints handling procedure here.

Complaints about our bills

If you are not satisfied about our bill you are entitled to challenge or make a complaint about that bill. You may also apply to the court for an assessment of our bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974.

Interest on Unpaid Bills

If all or part of the bill remains unpaid, we may be entitled to charge interest.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

We have Professional Indemnity Insurance to cover work undertaken by us in England and Wales. Our insurers are:
Travelers Insurance Company Limited
61-63 London Road

Data Protection

The way in which we use your personal data is regulated by data protection legislation in addition to our professional duty of confidentiality. Our up-to-date privacy notice is available on our website ( We may amend our privacy notice periodically to ensure it is operating effectively and complies with relevant laws and regulations. Where you provide any personal data to us (including that of third parties involved in the matter), you are responsible for ensuring that disclosure by you or on your behalf to us for use by us in the provision of our services complies with the requirements of data protection legislation.
You have the sole responsibility for the accuracy, quality and legality of the personal data you provide to us.

Storage of Documents

After completing the work, we will be entitled to keep all your papers and documents while there is still money owed to us for fees and expenses. We will keep our file of your papers for up to 6 years. We keep files on the understanding that we can destroy them 6 years after the date of the final bill. We do not offer the service of storing documents in safe custody.

Notice of right to Cancel

The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 give you the right to cancel your agreement with us, without giving any reason, at any time during the 14 days immediately following the day that you return the copy of this letter (the "cooling off period"). Rather than our waiting for the cooling off period to expire before starting work on your file, at your election, we can start work for you right away however you will then lose your right to cancel and you will be responsible for the fees incurred by us for the work that we have undertaken for you. If you would like us to commence work before the end of the cancellation period, please tick the box indicating your Agreement to Commence Work, when signing and returning the copy of this letter of engagement or later, if appropriate. This may mean that you lose the right to cancel.
You will be required to pay for the services provided to you, with your agreement, before the end of the cancellation period. Please note that under the firm's terms of engagement you have the right to instruct us to stop work at any time (whether during or after the cancellation period).
We reserve the right to destroy all paper documents and to store an electronic copy only.
If you want us to return any paper documents to you at the end of a case you must inform us in writing. If we take papers or documents out of storage in relation to continuing or new instructions to act for you, we will not normally charge for such retrieval.
However we may charge you both for:
  1. time spent producing stored papers that are requested
  2. reading, correspondence or other work necessary to comply with your instructions in relation to the retrieved papers

Cancellation Policy

You may cancel the instruction at any time and ask for a refund. We will keep what’s necessary to cover the cost of services provided up until you cancelled. For document and deed drafting services, the fee you have have paid is broken down as follows: 75% for production of the first draft, 25% for finalising and circulating the final version. Therefore, if you cancel having received the first draft, you will be entitled to receive 25% of your fee.


Sometimes we ask other companies or people to do typing/photocopying/other work on our files to ensure this is done promptly. We will always seek a confidentiality agreement with these outsourced providers. If you do not want your file to be outsourced, please tell us as soon as possible.

Auditing and Vetting of Files

External firms or organisations may conduct audit or quality checks on our practice. These external firms or organisations are required to maintain confidentiality in relation to your files.

Terminating this Retainer

You may end your instructions to us in writing at any time, but we can keep all your papers and documents while there is still money owed to us for fees and expenses. We may decide to stop acting for you only with good reason. We must give you reasonable notice that we will stop acting for you.
If you or we decide that we should stop acting for you, you will pay our charges up until that point. These are calculated on an hourly basis plus expenses or by proportion of the agreed fee as set out in these terms and conditions depending on the whether you have paid a fixed fee or are paying for our services at an hourly rate.


We are professionally and legally obliged to keep your affairs confidential. However, solicitors may be required by statute to make a disclosure to the Serious Organised Crime Agency where they know or suspect that a transaction may involve money laundering or terrorist financing. If we make a disclosure in relation to your matter, we may not be able to tell you that a disclosure has been made. We may have to stop working on your matter for a period of time and may not be able to tell you why.

Distance Selling Regulations

If we have not met with you in person then Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 apply to this work. This means you have the right to cancel your instructions to us within seven working days of receiving this letter. You can cancel your instructions by contacting us by post or email to this office. Once we have started work on your file, you will be charged for the work that we have done if you then cancel your instructions.

Cash Payment to Third Parties

We confirm that we will carry out the necessary checks in order to verify the identity of our client for the delivery of the Service. If you are required by your conveyancing solicitor or a mortgage lender to obtain certified ID then you can do so by:
  • Click here to book and pay for an appointment to certify your ID via video conference. This service is not included within your original fee as it is not required to provide independent legal advice. Book a meeting to certify documents.
  • Find a solicitor local to you to certify your ID via video conference.

Accepting our Terms of Business

By ticking the button online "I Agree to the Terms & Conditions" in this form you are accepting these terms of service. If terms received by email then please email stating "I Agree to the Terms & Conditions".
Last updated: 24th February 2022
Fixed Solicitor Fee
PE3 Statutory Declaration

Have you already paid?
Type payment code from email here:

Almost there...

Your documents are being reviewed. Once we are happy that everything we need is present and correct, we will email you with a link to access our calendar and book your appointment at a time that suits you.

If you submit before 3pm, you can expect to receive your link by 5.30pm, If later, you will receive your link by 10am the next working day.

There is nothing more for you to do for now.


What is a PE3 form?

Form PE3 is a document where you can make a statutory declaration that one of the above statements are true. It can be downloaded for free from GOV.UK

How do I fill out a PE3 form?

You will need:
  • Penalty Charge Number (only one per form, you will need separate PE3s for separate PCNs)
  • Vehicle Registration Number
  • Applicant
  • Location of Contravention
  • Date of Contravention
You can only complete the form if you are the named Respondent on the Order for Recovery. If the Respondent has been named as a company/organisation, you must state your own full name, the company name and your position in the company.
You will need to explain why you have not responded to your Penalty Charge Notice (or that you have not received your rejection notice or appeal response). For example, change of address.
Tick all boxes which apply to you. Do not change or add to the wording of any of the grounds. If none of the grounds apply, you cannot file the Statutory Declaration. Contact the Local Authority who issued the Order for Recovery to try to resolve the matter.
If your reason is that you have changed address, but you have failed to notify the DVLA, this may cause your statutory declaration to be rejected.
State any reasons you consider valid and any further information relating to the contravention you wish to be considered. You may attach any relevant evidence. Do not use Form PE3 to complain or challenge the reason why the PCN was issued.
Form PE3 is a statutory declaration and as such must be sworn (witnessed by the proper person) for the TEC to accept it.

Who can witness a PE3 form?

A statutory declaration is a legal statement or oath which must be signed before a commissioner of oaths (eg a solicitor), an officer of the County Court appointed by a Judge to take affidavits, or a Justice of the Peace (at any Magistrates Court). There is no charge to have your signature witnessed at the county court. We can witness your statutory declaration online for a swifter turnaround, for £150 INC VAT.
Qualified Solicitors | Competitive Quotes | Straight Talking Legal Support
You must send your signed, witnessed PE3 to the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the following address:
Traffic Enforcement Centre
County Court Business Centre
St Katharine’s House
21-27 St Katharine’s Street
Northampton, NN1 2LH
Alternatively, you may fax the form to 0870 324 0092, or email the document to
Under section 5 of the Perjury Act 1911, if you knowingly and wilfully make a statutory declaration that is false in a material particular, then you are guilty of an offence, and liable on conviction to a term of imprisonment for up to 2 years, or to a fine, or both.
If your Form PE3 statutory declaration: unpaid penalty charge is successful this does not mean that the PCN is cancelled. Your PCN will be reissued and you must respond when you receive it.
If you are submitting Form PE3 on grounds two or three, the authority may refer the issue to an independent Adjudicator and your case may go to tribunal.

What is a statutory declaration out of time?

You must submit Form PE3: Statutory Declaration - unpaid penalty charge within 36 days of registration with TEC (when the local authority issues the order of recovery) otherwise you will also need to complete an Out of Time Application form PE2. If you are submitting your form late, you will need to submit PE2 and PE3 forms together.
Form PE2 will need to be signed and witnessed as well as PE3, it can be downloaded for free from GOV.UK.

Do you need a statutory declaration witness for your PE3 Form to dispute your PCN?

We can remote witness your statutory declaration to dispute your penalty charge notice
Qualified Solicitors | Competitive Quotes | Straight Talking Legal Support
Find Out More:
Talk to a Professional

If you're facing a dispute regarding Form PE3: Challenge an unpaid penalty charge notice, we can witness your statutory declaration.

Agree to Terms | Privacy Policy
We will reply to your message within 1 working day and will help wherever we can. If we can't help, we'll sometimes refer your query to someone who we think can. Check our Privacy Terms for how that works.

Enquiries on behalf of someone else
Whilst we understand you have the best of intentions, we cannot disclose any information regarding any of our clients to a non-client. We can only discuss a case, or confirm that we are acting on behalf of a client, with you, with express written permission from that client. We appreciate that this may be frustrating. Please understand that we are bound by strict data protection laws, which are in place to keep our clients' information safe.